Re: left handed calligraphy

---------

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 12:26:36 PST

When I teach calligraphy, I have the kids that are left
handed,turn their paper sideways and write from the
bottom up to the top(instead of having the paper at the
normal position and writing left to right).It almost
appears as if they are writing the letters upside down.I
am right handed and can actually demonstrate this way for
the left handed kids and get a letter that appears to be
in correct form.

I also use two pencils (instead of pens to start) that
the kids rubber band together at the top and bottom so
the pencils don't shift. The points of the lead need to
be level (rub the tips back and forth on a piece of paper
until they are level). This is the "larger nib."

They make their guides using the nib of the pencils.
(i.e. 5 pen nib widths for lower case in Italics and 8
pen nib widths for upper case in Italics.) It is much
easier to see where there is a problem in form with the
pencils since the letters are larger and broader. It is
easy to see where they shifted from the required angle. I
have them make a 45 degree angle within a small box with
their pencils at the top right corner of their paper.
They will have a double line from the top left corner to
the bottom right corner of the box. They will have a
single line from the top right corner to the bottom left
of the box. They can check their angles as they work by
placing the "nib" over the angles in the box. I also
tell them to move their entire arm and not just their
wrist as in normal handwriting.

Vivian

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy