Re: just curious...

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 04:16:17 PST

In a message dated 11/16/00 5:13:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
skygeoff@home.com writes:

> I am just curious as to how many lessons (average) you complete throughout
> > the year with elementary school kids.

Depends on the grade level. I teach k-5. I try to have my k-1 finish in
one-three weeks as I see them once a week for 40 min. 2-5 may go up to 4-6
weeks on one project. Routine is always the same. They come in, sit on a big
piece of carpeting in the middle of the room, and we have a discussion which
is meaningful the lesson. Usually this involves a piece of famous art and an
artist(s) in history, and/or a concept. Then they move on to the demo table.
All this, creating art and clean-up =40 min.

I used to be nervous about how much they "should be" producing. But after
seeing my little ones aspire to do fantastic art, and hearing them
intellectualize about famous art and artists, I realized that taking time for
all this is the most successful way for me to teach art!

I try to always add or introduce a new component to the project each week,
so that the project will hold their interest. For example, after discussing
Miro and his art, my second graders the first week painted a water color
background on unbleached muslin. Next week they made drawings on the muslin
using black sharpie. Third week they painted in areas of their drawings with
tempera paint.

Sometimes, but not often, I might have the kids working on two projects
alternate weeks. For example, my 4th graders worked on a water color painting
which depicted in a Chagall-type way their childhood/memories of their life
in our town on Long Island (I and My Village- the inspiration). In between
(on alternate weeks) they created ceramic leaf dishes which they are taking
home for Thanksgiving gifts.

Susan on Long Island