Re: painting with icing

---------

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 15:16:05 PST

On 11/15/00 2:52 PM, artrageous@bigfoot.com at artrageous@bigfoot.com wrote:

> <<the lesson with icing was color wheels - there was a good big recipe
> attached but the person who suggested it used caned frosting I think - did
> you try the archives - was in summer I think.>>
>
> Hi--I'm the one who posted the color wheels with icing idea (based on
> another artsednetter's lesson plan). The lesson plan can be found here:
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~artrageous/EdibleColorwheel-LP.html

Teacherıs Name: Sharon Barrett Kennedy
Subject/Title: Edible Color Wheels
Grade Level: Elementary (with assistance) through grade 12

Goal: To introduce or reinforce studentsı understanding of color mixing and
color theory.
Objectives: Students will produce an edible color wheel.

Materials:

Vanilla wafers
Pillsbury Vanilla Frosting
Package of food coloring
Styrofoam bowls/plates
Napkins/paper towels
Plastic knives/craft sticks/spoons

Procedure:

1.Scoop frosting into three bowls and use food coloring to
dye one each red, yellow, and blue.
Cover (hide) and set aside.
2.As students come into room, have them sit in groups of
three or four.
3.Begin introduction or review of color theory by asking
them to name the three primary colors.
Once they have correctly identified these, uncover the
bowls.
4.Using a spoon, scoop frosting of each color onto a
Styrofoam plate, one for each group of
students. While doing this, continue to ask students
questions (i.e. "what are the secondary colors and how do you mix them?"
etc.
Adapt questions according to age group and prior
exposure to color theory concepts.)
5.Pass out plastic knives or craft sticks, one per person.
Ask MORE questions about color theory (i.e. "what are complementary colors
and what is their relative position on the color wheel?"
etc.) Give each group a plate with frosting on it, and either a second empty
plate or a large paper towel.
6.Produce a box of Vanilla wafers from a bag, and pass out
at least 13 cookies to each group, placing cookies on empty plate or
paper towel.
7.At this point, the light will probably begin to dawn for
the students and they will understand what they are to do! Explain that they
will be working as a team to produce a color wheel,
using Vanilla wafers and frosting to create primary, secondary and tertiary
colors, as well as a neutral.
8.Remind students to wipe off the stick (DONıT LICK IT!) in
between colors so as not to contaminate the purity of the primary colors.
9.Suggest that they mix their colors directly on the
cookies.
10.Once the color wheels have been finished and have been
checked for color accuracy and correct placement, students may eat their
work!

Notes: I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I came across it in the
ArtsEdNet list.

This worked EXTREMELY well with my 5th through 12th grade students, and days
later they were still talking about how much they enjoyed it!

This may be extended by having them eat a color and its complementary. Or
say that they can start by eating analogous colors--or only the
tertiaries. Whatever!

Clever students (who want more cookies) may suggest that they show their
proficiency in color mixing by producing tints. Or doing a "tint strip"
by choosing a color and adding white to a series of cookies.

Amazingly, I only used 2 containers of frosting for 50 students‹Iıd bought 6
containers. On the other hand, I used 3 boxes of Vanilla wafers in
order to be able to use all unbroken cookies.

Adapt this as desired, and enjoy!

MaryAnn F. Kohl
maryann@brightring.com
http://www.brightring.com