Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: painting with icing

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 14:54:55 PST

My Preschool Art book has some great icings. one of my favorites for "art"
is Royal icing, which is the one you use for a cement
(not for decorating like paint). Page 127. But for decorating, try this one
that is like a "clay" that you press into shapes and then put on the cookie
or cupcake. I will also list a second edible paint after that called Glossy

page 164 Preschool Art book
Candy Clay
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup salt
1 t. vanilla
1 lb. box powdered sugar

Mix the first four ingredients in a bowl by hand.
Then mix in the powdered sugar. Knead until smooth.
Add more powdered sugar to make the clay non-sticky and pliable.
Divide the clay into small portions and mix food coloring into each one with
a spatula or spreading knife.
Work with bits of the colored candy clay on a paper towel, and decorate any
cookie, cupcake, or cracker. Eat!

PS Regular butter cream frosting is good for decorating too.

Glossy Paint
edible, for painting paper, eggs shells, wood, or food

one can sweetened condenses milk
food coloring, four colors
four cups
"cupcake, cookie, paper, etc."
paintbrushes or cotton swabs

Mix a different color food coloring with condenses milk in each of the four
cups. Mix to your own shake preference.
Paint with the colored milk on frosting, bread, paper, etc.
Let dry. Dries glossy.

PS If you paint on paper, turn the paper vertically and hang on bulletin
board. The colors will "run" down together.

MaryAnn F. Kohl