Re: symmetrical activity

---------

From: Michelle Lowe (mishlowe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 10:11:23 PST

That is a fun one too, but unfortunately, we recently did the same thing,
studying secondary colors, by mixing primaries in that way. They'd
probably like it again, but I wanted to do something new! We did do a
similar one, using string dipped into paint and folded between the halves,
sort of a primitive printmaking technique.
I'd really like to find something that will melt better than these crayons,
it actually looked like it had great possibilities.

At 10:48 AM 11/14/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Instead of crayons to make a symmetrical design, try using paint. Have
>students fold a 12" x 18" piece of manila paper in half, then open it up
>flat. Using three "squirt" or paint bottles, one each of red, yellow,
>and blue tempera paint, go around the room placing three globs of paint
>in a triangular formation near the center fold (the line of symmetry) of
>each paper (I do not recommend letting the students do this part!).
>Have students carefully close and gently rub the paint inside the folded
>paper, then open it up to dry (also look for formation of secondary
>colors). When the paint is dry, have students use the color blots as the
>basis for a design, drawing details with crayon. I just did this with a
>5th grade class yesterday and we ended up with clowns, transformers,
>angels, fish, burning houses, and trained seals.
>
>Nancy
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: mishlowe@amug.org

Michelle Lowe, potter in the Phoenix desert |/ |
mishlowe@amug.org -O- | |
mishy@desertdragonpottery.com /| | | |
|_|_|
http://www.desertdragonpottery.com ____ |