Re: printmaking postcard exchange - HS

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 15:27:55 PST

In a message dated 11/10/2000 6:46:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mack88@massed.net writes:

> Do you use a chemical to etch your plates or are you doing
> drypoint? I'd love to know a nontoxic method to use for my 8th graders.
> Karen Mack

I use a dry point process with Plexiglas. By scratching lines into the
Plexiglas with a sharpened nail in a dowel I can get about 5 or 6 good prints
before they get too light. We use daubers and etching ink and wipe off with
cheese cloth and newsprint. Set the pressure over the plate and use only one
thin blanket. I use rives bfk paper and soak it for 10 to 15 min. blot dry
and print. Using sulpheric acid and zinc plates would be too cost
prohibitive.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA