Evaluating web sites

---------

From: BJ Berquist (berquist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 06:16:30 PST

Although this information may be too late for the Rivera paper that had
to be graded, I'm sending this excerpt from an article in the Nov/Dec.
MMS Magazine that you might want to take a look at. We can do more for
our students than give them a specific list of appropriate/relevant
sites. We can help them to be intelligent users of information
technology.

The article, titled Choosing Well-“BUILT” Web Sites, is written by Ivan
Baugh, a professor at Bellermine University and a member of TAPPED IN.

Respectfully submitted,
BJ Berquist
Associate Educator, TAPPED IN
mailto:bjb@tappedin.org
------------------------------------
What type of agency published the document? This can help you determine
if the information may have a bias. By looking at the address (Uniform
Resource Locator or URL) you can identify the publishing agency. An URL
will have one of the following items in the address:

com commercial
edu educational institutions
gov governmental agencies
mil military organizations
net network
org non-profit agencies

Governmental agencies should have a good reliability factor. Educational
institutions usually provide accurate information. Some organizations
and agencies may have a good reliability factor; others may not. Keep in
mind that commercial web sites have a purpose-usually to sell or market
a product. Networks will require the user to carefully evaluate each
site because it represents a collection of web networks. You may want to
use the Whois search engine at
http://www.whois.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois to discover
who registered the site; this can help you gather information to
evaluate reliability. Whois looks at the domain name. You can find the
domain name by selecting the information given in the URL immediately
before .com, .edu, .gov, .mil, .net, or .org. In the above address,
networksolutions is the domain name.

Does the author present the information as fact or opinion? As you read
the information, do you find that the author adequately covers all
points-of-view on the topic? Quality web sites will cover all sides of
an issue. After covering all sides, the writer may then adopt a
particular position. If so, does the author provide documentation to
support that position?

MultiMedia Schools Magazine:
http://www.infotoday.com/MMSchools/MMStocs/nov00toc