Re: Tessellations ala Woody

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 06:48:03 PST

http://www.bigfoot.com/~artrageous/Tessellations.html">
> <http://www.bigfoot.com/~artrageous/Tessellations.html>

Great sites...thanks so much for sharing! I teach creating tessellations in
an entirely different way. I have the students begin with a 3"x3" manila
tagboard square. They cut a piece from the top of the square, slide it down
to the bottom of the square, and tape it to the bottom, changing the shape of
the geometric shape to a freeform shape. They do the same thing to the left
side of the square, cutting a "nibble" from the side, sliding it over to the
right side and tape it down. All cutting must be done corner to corner.
After the new shape is created the students need to see something from it, a
bird, animal, face etc. They repeat tracing the shape with no spaces in
between until the pattern covers the entire page. Lastly, they draw in
features and color in their design with markers.
Woody, looking forward to trying your approach to teaching tessellations.
Woody or Sharon, how long does it take to complete this lesson? Susan on
Long Island