elementary noise level

---------

From: s. l. billingsley (teekart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 06:54:52 PST

This list serve is so good. Just read "Grandmothers fingers"..that was
excellent. I seem to have arrived at the same place on a different road.
I teach some simple origami to first and second graders, we do it in
steps so I need to know when everyone is ready. I have the children do a
very "rude" thing to me-stare. When their hands are folded and they are
staring then I know that all are ready for the next step. I only use
this occasionally and they seem to perceive it as a game. It truely is
disturbing to have all of them staring intently at me(for a short time).

I also liked the "noise" word on the board, and then erasing one letter
at a time. Very nice. The music teacher at my school has also discovered
her listserve and we are always comparing good ideas that we have
received from our respective lists.

I just had a very noisy second grade yesterday and was debating about
what to do with them. Just the fact that noise is an issue for many of
you is helpful. I too think that it is my personal problem-I don't
tolerate it well. All of my students are respectful and listening when I
present a lesson, but it is when they start to work that some classes
seem to get too loud. When I taught from a cart one of the benefits was
the transition from me to classroom teacher. I learned some very good
techniques at this time. I love the sharing that happens with this
group.

Thanks to all.

S. Billingsley-Ohio