Re: Fwd: Talking Points #3

---------

From: Michelle Lowe (mishlowe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 05:11:46 PST

Personally, I am amazed that someone would think that "reading to children
in art class" is not integrating language arts into art, and that "writing
about a painting" is not integrating art into language arts.
Exactly what else could it possibly be? In both our state standards, and
our curriculum for our school, there are sections that indicate that having
the children talk and/or write about art is one of the integral parts to a
good, rounded program. Also, the teacher who said she'd never want her
principal to catch her "reading to her students" and then said in another
post that she *does* sometimes use a book to introduce a concept or lesson.
What would your principal do if he came in while you were "using the
book"? I guess I don't get the difference between "using a book" to
introduce a concept and reading a book to the children. I sometimes read a
book after they are working, but usually I read it during the introduction
portion of the lesson, that depends on the length of time they need to
work, and the length and worth of the book I am considering.

And I am confident that any reading to children is valuable, important and
integrates well with "art".
My own children were homeschooled for twelve years and a staple of our
"program" was to read-read-read to them. All four are in school now, and
all four excel.

At 11:08 PM 11/9/2000 EST, you wrote:
>This is from Illinois Art Teacher. Thought you might like it. Gail
[snip-header]

>3. COMMUNICATION AND LANGUAGE
>Art is a language of visual images that everyone must learn to read. In art
>classes, we make visual images, and we study images. Increasingly, these
>images affect our needs, our daily
>behavior, our hopes, our opinions, and our ultimate ideals. That is why the
>individual who cannot understand or read images is incompletely educated.
>Complete literacy includes the ability to understand, respond to, and talk
>about visual images. Therefore, to carry out its total mission, art
>education stimulates language spoken and written about visual images. As
>art teachers we work continuously on the development of critical skills.
>This
>is our way of encouraging linguistic skills. By teaching pupils to
>describe,
>analyze, and interpret visual images, we extend their powers of verbal
>expression. That is no educational frill.

Michelle Lowe, potter in the Phoenix desert |/ |
mishlowe@amug.org -O- | |
mishy@desertdragonpottery.com /| | | |
|_|_|
http://www.desertdragonpottery.com ____ |