Re: aesthetic question

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 15:47:03 PST

In a message dated 11/09/2000 2:56:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
davisli@LODI.K12.WI.US writes:

> On the other hand, I don't know if I can get this unmotivated group to do
the
> hard work of coming up with a design. Unless they get INSTANT results,
they
> give up and act up. ( The more I think about it, the less I want to leave
> the safety of worksheets.........) What would all of you experienced art
> professional recommend?
> Lisa

I believe that to motivate students, give them something that they think is
challenging and the procedures to accomplish it. If you take them through
the design process in steps and only expecting them to get to a certain point
each day or couple of days, they can stay interested.

When I start a unit I can show slides of past student work to try and get
them interested. Then take them on the journey through the steps to get to a
great finished product. Do it with them and let them know that you think it
is worth your time as well.

As you start to build their confidence and by letting them know each project
will be given as steps to be completed before they move on, they will look
forward to challenging works and will want to complete them.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA