aesthetic question

---------

From: Davis, Lisa (davisli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 14:53:01 PST

I'm working with some 8th graders who are having serious behavioral difficulties. One of my groups is starting to come around. We've been doing all pencil and paper work, (shading, journals, sketch books, worksheets), Their behavior has improved enough that I think I may be able to trust them with a simple structured project with limited media. I wanted to do a project based on stained glass. I have some translucent paper-like material that seems to take colored pencil and marker reasonablywell. My question is: Should I have them use pre-made stained glass designs and trace them onto the paper, or would the lesson lack any value unless I drag the kids through a process of making their own design. On one hand, letting them use the pattern turns the lesson into a glorified coloring book activity. On the other hand, I don't know if I can get this unmotivated group to do the hard work of coming up with a design. Unless they get INSTANT results, they give up and act up. ( The more I think about it, the less I want to leave the safety of worksheets.........) What would all of you experienced art professional recommend?
Lisa