employment

---------

From: Vivian Sample (vsample_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 13:16:10 PST

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C04A5F.FDAD1060

I am new to the list and thrilled to have the opportunity to exchange =
ideas and information. I am a second year art teacher K-2 in Memphis, TN =
teaching in Shelby County schools. We were recently informed of budget =
cuts that could effect the arts program. The city school don't even have =
arts in the schools ,and many of the county schools are being annexed =
into the city. I have thought of relocation for years and feel that I =
might not have a choice now. Art education is definitely the lowest of =
priorities in Memphis schools. Art teachers are many times thought of as =
babysitters used to give the real teachers a break.What is it like in =
other parts of the country? Is there a need for art teachers in other =
states? Were are the school systems that realize the need for art ed.? I =
am a practicing artist with knowledge and experience and interest in =
just about every art form and medium. I have taught every grade K-12. I =
am also certified in Library. I feel that art education could be the key =
in saving our children and our schools.I have hear of school where art =
is the center of the whole curriculum, but I do not know =
locations.Thanks, Diane Sample=20

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C04A5F.FDAD1060

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am new to the list and thrilled to =
have the=20
opportunity to exchange ideas and information. I am a second year art =
teacher=20
K-2 in Memphis, TN teaching in Shelby County schools. We were recently =
informed=20
of budget cuts that could effect the arts program. The city school don't =
even=20
have arts in the schools ,and many of the county schools are being =
annexed into=20
the city. I have thought of relocation for years and feel that I might =
not have=20
a choice now. Art education is definitely the lowest of priorities in =
Memphis=20
schools. Art teachers are many times thought of as babysitters used to =
give the=20
real teachers a break.What is it like in other parts of the country? Is =
there a=20
need for art teachers in other states? Were are the school systems that =
realize=20
the need for art ed.? I am a practicing artist&nbsp;with knowledge and=20
experience&nbsp;</FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2> and interest in just =
about every=20
art form and medium. I have taught every grade K-12. I am also certified =
in=20
Library. I feel that art education could be the key in saving our =
children and=20
our schools.I have hear of school where art is the center of the whole=20
curriculum, but I do not know locations.Thanks, Diane&nbsp;Sample=20
</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C04A5F.FDAD1060--