Re: conferences

---------

From: Andrea Dunmire (artshui_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 09:54:44 PST

Heyjude wrote:
<SNIP>
Help! I am a first year art teacher........unknowingly. I gave
grades based on merit (using rubrics) not knowing this was never done
before. Everyone got A+. Everyone got 'Outstanding' for behavior. Now I
have 23 conferences and have been told parents are livid. <snip>

I have not read other postings responding to this but I would hope others
would advise you to stick to your guns. When you are in a new position,
breaking others in to your point of view will always be met with resistance.
If you truly feel you are right (and I believe you are), and that your
rubric is fair and reasonable, you have to decide how much resistance you
can tolerate, understanding that, if you do not retreat, it WILL get worse,
but then it will be much, much better.

You may have to educate this community about the role the visual arts play
in education and about your expectations. Hopefully you have an
administrator who will be willing to back you up. But, knowing from whence
you speak, believe me, you will respect yourself more, they will eventually
respect you also, and you will be doing the children a great service.

Good luck. You have a tough road ahead of you. But, you know, sometimes
battles can be invigorating.

Andrea in Pa.
- to contact me directly use artshui@hotmail.com