Knowing the candidates

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 05:33:08 PST

How a person handles defeat and victory tells a lot about the honor and
integrity of his character.

"The story behind Gore's near-concession

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Al Gore set aside the stoic valedictory written for
him by an aide and picked up the phone. George W. Bush did not take his call
happily. "You don't have to get snippy about this," Gore spat. The acid of
their yearlong fight - character assaults and name-calling, layered onto the
Clinton-Gore defeat of Bush's father in 1992 - boiled over as Gore, in an
underground office at the War Memorial, insisted that Florida's decisive 25
electoral votes remained in limbo. "Let me make sure I understand,"
protested Bush, his victory speech in hand. "You're calling me back to
retract your concession?" Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, chastened on Election Night
when it appeared Bush had lost the state, had just assured his brother it
was a done deal. And the TV networks had already declared Texas Gov. George
W. Bush the 43rd president of the United States. "Let me explain something,"
Gore lectured in a stony tone, "your YOUNGER brother is not the ultimate
authority on this." The conversation, quoted to The Associated Press by two
of the 20 or so people in the room with Gore and confirmed by a Bush aide,
ended abruptly."

My question is, how could Jeb Bush assure his brother that it was a "done
deal"?

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher/Educational Consultant
The Ohio Center for Critical Thinking Instruction
http://www.acorn.net/lists-ht/occti.html
Truth, Honor and Courage