Re: oil paint in high school

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 04:53:09 PST

Susan....

It is possible with odorless turpenoid, and a convenient work environment
for high school students to experience oils...however, since there are
products that can be mixed with acrylics to give oil-like drag and impasto
texture (Liquitex "Matte Opaque Extender Gel Medium"-formerly called
"Gelex") why bother with the mess and carelessness of students that have to
be harped upon to understand its potential for making disaster?

I have a how-to on "Wetcanvas.com" for those interested in acrylics used to
imitate an oil painting procedure and look-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Acrylics/Waterfall/

also...if anyone here is personally interested in oil painting, and the ever
growing vogue trend of "Plein Air" painting, I finished what I think my best
"how-to" to date on "Roadside Painting" at "Wetcanvas.com"
Lots of images and explanation that I'm sure would be well worth taking your
students to the computer lab to get up and on to check out. Especially in
emphasizing that detail can be suggested, because a great deal of the
painting is done with a palette knife. BTW, introduce your kids to palette
knife use and extend the life of your brushes greatly!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Landscapes/Roadside/

What I emphasize to students is that one task of the artist is to take the
ordinary and mundane and cause passerby'ers to understand that a beauty
exists that has missed their eye due to their routine. That we as artists
wake their senses to look again with a new vision, and as such the artist
serves the role of encouraging Joe Public to become aesthetically
alive...with a sense of celebrating living.

Larry