Re: conferences

---------

wjbaas_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 19:36:45 PST

--------------653C2E08272BC87FC9116E1B

Hey Jude,
Been there done that except I had hostile parents on the HS level and a
hostile admin that let them rant and hurl insults without bothering to
interject a word. After many of these I wised up and went to the union much
against my Principal hubby's advise. His reasoning was that once you do that
you are automatically "on their list". I decided what they were trying to
whitewash as Art Ed was wrong, and to stand up for my values. Refused further
conferences without representation. They said I was insubordinate. I referred
to my right to equal representation and the inappropriateness of a hostile
parental attack and the filing of a grievance. After the continued harassment,
I went to a union lawyer. Wrote a rebuttal to their attack and had all the
proper documentation to back me up. Haven't had much trouble since. That was
11 years ago. I now keep very accurate records about kid stuff as well as
administrator stuff and always take them home with me. Our administrators have
been known to saw locks off of file cabinets etc. even if they are not school
property.
I couldn't agree more with whoever said to make sure you do not have one of
those conferences without a 3rd party. I always make sure I have someone to
accompany me. Just having someone sit and take notes thoroughly intimidates.
There can be no mistakes that way. I often offer to give a copy of those notes
to the questioning party. They usually refuse and their voice turns to butter.

Stick to your guns!
You're worth it! They just don't know it yet.
Always here too,
Gelato

JoAnHeiman@cs.com wrote:

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: wjbaas@execpc.com

--------------653C2E08272BC87FC9116E1B

Hey Jude,
a hostile admin that let them rant and hurl insults without bothering to
interject a word. After many of these I wised up and went to the union
much against my Principal hubby's advise. His reasoning was that once you
do that you are automatically "on their list". I decided what they were
trying to whitewash as Art Ed was wrong, and to stand up for my values.
Refused further conferences without representation. They said I was insubordinate.
I referred to my right to equal representation and the inappropriateness
of a hostile parental attack and the filing of a grievance. After the continued
harassment, I went to a union lawyer. Wrote a rebuttal to their attack
and had all the proper documentation to back me up. Haven't had much trouble
since. That was 11 years ago. I now keep very accurate records about kid
home with me. Our administrators have been known to saw locks off of file
cabinets etc. even if they are not school property.
one of those conferences without a 3rd party. I <u>always</u> make sure