Re: Noise in elem classroom

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 15:56:52 PST

In a message dated 11/8/00 6:19:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, Nnaell@aol.com
writes:

> How can you teach, offer one on one instruction and assess if you are
> reading
> to them? This just feeds the idea that teacher art is easy! I would NEVER
> EVER let my principal see me sitting or reading to my students while they
> were working on their lesson!!!!!

What about using reading to children while they are working to encourage
visualization, stimulate imagination, integrate material, or just relate a
topic to the art? For some lessons reading seems most appropriate. For
example, I don't think my Shel Silverstein poetry illustration lesson would
be as effective if I didn't read the poetry a few times while the kids are
creating- conjures up too many great images.

Where do you live? Is it a state where the Standards are a vital component
to Art Education? My principal would embrace my reading to the kids- part of
the Standards. I don't think integrating reading fosters the idea that
teaching art is easy.
Susan on Long Island