Re: Noise in elem classroom

---------

MarshArt_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 13:47:12 PST

In a message dated 11/7/00 11:08:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
design18@yahoo.com writes:

> Working silently only
> seems to work for 5 minutes or less and then turns into noise. Am I just
> spinning my wheels. As long as they're working, should I relax and let
them
> talk?

I have had the same problem and finally came to understand something about
auditory learners and about myself. I learn better with "quiet". However,
some kids cannot learn in a quiet atmosphere. They actually need to talk (
either to themselves or others0 to process information. I learned this at a
seminar I took last month.

I had to ask myself two questions. 1) Is the noise merely a
"teacher-annoyance" thing? Or, is it really that I am out of control in my
classroom? 2) Are they producing work while they are talking? I began to
see that it was MY thing...that I liked quiet because I can think better that
way. I was still in control of my class and could call it to order anytime I
felt it got too loud. The kids were not goofing off but actually working.
So, now I allow talking with my "12 inch rule". Many kids don't know how to
measure "inside voices"...but if I show them a ruler and ask that their voice
carry no further than 12" then they have a concrete idea of how softly to
speak.
This has helped both of us a lot and I hope it helps others.

Marsha