RE: stained glass windows and abortion (odd combo)

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 10:56:55 PST

> Choice does not mean irresponsibility.

A point well made, Whites! So many people want FREEDOM, freedom to's (to do
this and that) and freedom from's (from accountability, responsibility,
work, caring, honesty, truth), and seem to think that this somehow allows
them to make whatever choices they like. Whereas in fact, the more
Freedom one has, the MORE Responsibility AND Accountability one must assume.

There is a great quote from Ursula K. LeGuin's EarthSea Trilogy (which is
actually four books) and which I can't pull out right at the moment. But it
is simple and I can paraphrase the meaning.

Most people think that the more knowledge one has, the greater one's freedom
and particularly freedom of choice and action.

This is true in one sense - that with more knowledge, one has greater
resources from which to draw to apply to a situation.

In another sense, it is quite the opposite of the truth - that with more
knowledge, one's range of choices narrows down to a recognition and
acknowledgement of what one MUST do, rather than what one would like or want
to do. Of course, ideally, what must be done will eventually coincide with
what one will prefer or want to do. This is doing the Right thing, and
knowing what that Right thing is, is the beginning of Wisdom.