RE: Noise in elem classroom

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 06:53:39 PST

I like the idea of reading on topic information to students, especially for
children in lower elementary. Children can comprehend much more complicated
material than they are usually capable of reading at this age. Reading books
aloud is different than a lecture, because you tend to be much more
expressive when reading. Personally I would not hold children responsible
for information presented in this way, unless you also present it at a time
they are focused on you. When I concentrate on something I'm doing, my ears
"turn off". I was working writing up some lesson plans for parents with
pictures (I do the project step by step writing up the instructions and
taking pictures), and a fellow staff member popped a balloon left over from
a fundraiser. I didn't even hear it.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator