A lesson that's working

---------

From: Neil Erickson (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 05:51:47 PST

I am doing a lesson with my 6th graders that they are loving so I thought I
would pass it on.
It came from someone in Arkansas-I'm sorry I'll have to give credit later as
the lesson plan is at school.

Budget Sculptures
1 piece of scrap wood for ea. student (wood studs cut into 4-5" pieces)
1 coat hanger (the white ones work best)
1 new knee-high pantyhose
glue and water (50/50) put into butter tubs with lids
foam brushes
assorted leftover spray paint

Drill 2 holes in the top of ea. piece of wood about 2-3" apart the diameter
of coat hanger wire
Cut the "loop" part of the hanger off with wire cutters
Have each student bend the wire into an interesting form putting the 2 ends
into the holes in the wood.
Carefully thread the pantyhose over the form you have created. Pull the
hose carefully down over the wood.
Coat the sculpture with the glue mixture. Do 5 coats letting it dry 1 day
in between.
When completely dry, spray paint.
Silver and gold metallic paint make them look like expensive metal
sculptures. My kids are also choosing florescent pink and green. Stone
paint would be great but we can't afford it.

Each day after the kids put the glue on they have time leftover. I gave
them 4 sheets of xerox paper stapled together and gave the following 4
assignments:
1. Draw your sculpture. Turn it into the object of your choice. (This also
led to some great individual discussions re whether a non-objective
sculpture is worthy if it doesn't look like "something"-we discussed the
differences between realism and abstract and the value of each)
2. I put up my collection of hats. Draw your sculpture again including one
of the hats. Your sculpture can be wearing the hat or it can be included in
the drawing in a more abstract way.
3. Draw your sculpture with charcoal shading it using at least 5 values.
4. Draw your sculpture with thin-line marker including at least 5
repetitious patterns.

Have fun!!
Cindy Erickson, 5th and 6th Grade Art, Oklahoma