Noise in elem classroom

---------

From: design18 (design18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 23:05:30 PST

Is it really possible to get 2nd, 3rd, 4th grades to work silently? Using
inside voices escalates quickly into loud noise. Working silently only
seems to work for 5 minutes or less and then turns into noise. Am I just
spinning my wheels. As long as they're working, should I relax and let them
talk? Also. ,my art room tables are long cafeteria tables (12 to a table).
do you think this is making it worse. I'm usually not a screamer, but I am
losing my voice by telling them to be quiet. I do have a system of rewards
and consequences. Help!