Re: African art ideas- NOT MASKS

---------

Jhirunrtx_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 19:19:49 PST

Well, I've never actually done. It was just an idea in my book. I thought if
I ever did it, I could just say it's a character that African women like to
wear to ensure a healthy baby. I wouldn't mention fertility. That's a touch
subject for elementary.
I have a funny story:
My third graders where creating a drawing that's a mirror drawing, where two
kids draw together, following each other on opposite sides of the paper. When
finished, they were to turn it into an invention with their partner and
present it to the class. One team came up to present their idea and after
telling me it resembled an octopus, told me they have named it "The Pussy".
Needless to say I almost fell off my chair. However, since no other student
reacted, I assumed (thankfully) they had never heard the term before.I was
very quiet and made no comment about the title. When I showed their teacher
after school, she almost choked! Thank goodness for innocence. That won't be
one drawing I will display.
Janet