RE: Election Day--it is almost over

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 17:29:28 PST

I'd have to dig out my federalist papers to make sure I'm right, but I think
your half right. The two houses of congress were created to balance the
small and big population states. The electoral collage was created in part
because the founding fathers did not trust the voters. They thought many
different people would run from around the country (remember no nightly news
from around the world). The electoral collage would give the citizens some
voice narrowing the choices to 5 and the house would vote (1 vote per state)
for the pres and vp. Remember they came from a parliamentary system in
England. Were members are elected then the group that can get a majority
coalition together forms a government and elects the Prime Minister from
within their own ranks. Remember there was real fear that someone would get
elected president and then declare himself king.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator