Re: Handscapes

---------

From: Charlotte (larkspin2000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 16:22:20 PST

Sorry----poor choice of words..........I have more things on my mind right now than I can even go into right now.........the artists in residence were not an interuption----in the negative sense----just that the ongoing project stopped for a whole week(actually 2--- as I had them write and decorate thankyous last week)..........so I had to get myself AND THEM back into the production mode. It really doesn't matter WHAT we were working on........those guys were great!!!!(two potters----toting wheel and slides and finished products)-------a welcome visit no matter WHAT I was working on!! Their program is separate from anything we do and it is a priviledge for us when they come. As a matter of fact I plan to take a few classes from this school to participate in workshops at the arts and crafts school where these artists are in residence.

For your information, I go to 4 diff. schools, none of which have kilns so pottery is just a mere fantasy.......so these guys were a breath of fresh air. The kids AND I loved their visit. In one thankyou note one boy wrote that he was gonna start saving his money for a wheel!! This is saying a lot coming from the very poor community he comes from!! Great inspiration!!!!

Charlotte

Alasann1@aol.com wrote:
Just a thought.
You termed the visit by your Artist in Residence as an interruption.
Maybe if you want some continuity with your lesson, you could clue the
visiting artist in on what you are doing in advance.
Maybe you could perceive the visit as a compliment to Your program.
But youcalled the service an Interruption.
Why do art teachers consider the Artists in Residence as a negative?
It sounds like a playground mentality.

---
You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: larkspin2000@yahoo.com