oil paint in high school

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 07:04:48 PST

I'm writing a painting lesson for a hypothetical Level 3 high school class (for
a course I'm taking myself) and I was wondering if it is possible/feasible to
use oil paint in a public high school. Can high school students be assumed
able to be responsible with potentially toxic pigments and solvents?
I personally believe students that age could, but what do school districts
typically say?
Would an art room have adequate ventilation systems for the fumes?

Susan Holland
Visual Art Studies
University of Texas at Austin
susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu