First Gr. Native American Blankets

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 16:07:36 PST

We are making these in my first gr. The kids love these and they're
very successful. I have shown different examples of Navajo blankets,
clothing,( I began by showing a painting of an Indian by George Catlin
to set the mood) etc. We identify shapes and patterns. They are allowed
to chose 3 (if 4"wide) or 4(if 3"wide) different colors of construction
paper to make a pattern. Ie: two red and a yellow. I demonstrate
folding a strip of the 4"x12 "in colored paper in half and then half
again. First we cut a simple shapes out of each of the folds, then open
and line up on a 12x18 pc. manilla. Then we try alittle elabotation on
the 2nd pc. cutting combined shapes out each side of the folded strip.
Unfold and lay on the manilla. Finish with remaining strips and then
glue. Scraps from the cutouts may be glued on top for added pattern.
OOOh and AAaah every time.
Hope someone can use this. Betsy