Re: African art ideas- NOT MASKS

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 11:56:31 PST

>I am looking for a good art lesson that can be done with elementary students
>that examines an African art form. I DONT want to do masks. Does anyone have
>any good ideas that dont involve eating 100 boxes of oatmeal to get the
>canisters??
>
>Thanks as always!
>
>Dawn Wilson Low

Perhaps I should run down a small list of what I have seen local
artists make: Instruments, painting on glass (the scenes and style
reminds me of Mexican bark painting), woodburning (usually onto
gourds or wood), sculpture of so many kinds, woodcarving,
basketweaving, beads and silver jewelry making, leatherwork, and
textiles: tye-dye, boologan mud cloth, batik,applique, and so much
more. I also like the toy bicycles, vehicles, etc. that are created
from recycled soda cans. I have examples of some of these things on
my zing website. http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293704841

--
| Melissa Enderle |
/)| melissa@afribone.net.ml |( / )| || __( ( art teacher/ adaptive art /_) ) )__