Double Culture Day in Mali - Part 2

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 11:29:09 PST

As promised, I am writing the second part of the events of yesterday.
No sooner than 10 minutes after I left the wedding and arrived back
at my house (the wedding celebration was still going on), did I begin
my next adventure. I was invited to go with a fellow teacher and her
family to a Malian Christian family in a village about a half hour
away from Bamako.
The village
As you turn off the main paved road (the road from Bamako is actually
MUCH better than many of the roads IN the main part of Bamako
itself), you start heading down a maze of narrow dirt roads/paths.
The house compounds are quite near each other, clustered amidst a
vast area of savannah and some fields. The houses are small, many
perhaps only one room. The houses are made of mud bricks. There are
no glass windows, but there is a large metal door. Cooking is done
outside. There is no electricity, but recently wells have been
upgraded- mounded slightly with concrete and secured with a cover.
These two factors have helped in reducing the amount of deaths due to
children accidentally falling in open wells.
Each house has a wall around its border, providing some privacy - and
helping the chickens or other animals to stay in the yard. Sometimes
there are several homes, inhabited by extended families. Next to the
house of the family we visited was a small chicken coop, again made
out of mud bricks. Also present: an area for trash (sort of a
compost heap), a small garden, and a shade tree or two. Most villages
of any size have a mosque, however small and humble in appearance.
Children could be found throughout the village, rolling a tire with a
stick, playing soccer, or riding a bike. As usual, women and girls
were more typically found working hard, preparing meals, gathering
food, washing clothes, etc.
The Father
The father of the family recounted his early beginnings in
life. Like so many others in Mali, he had to deal with death at an
early age. In fact, he never knew his father. Unable to provide for
her many children, the mother dispersed her children to live with
family members or others of the village. He was sent to live with the
village chief. Like many in his village, the family held more
traditional, or animist beliefs. A mission church settled in the
area, spreading the Gospel in the native language of Bambara. The
church also began to teach people how to read and write, a luxury not
offered by the village. He took advantage of both, learning to read
and write as well as learning more about Christ. The teachings
appealed to him. All was well until one of his uncles converted to
Islam. This uncle suddenly had no tolerance for Christians
whatsoever, including his on nephew. At first the young boy did learn
about the Islam religion, but soon realized that Christ was the One.
Warned of the possible consequences if he did not recant his
religious decision, the young boy held firm. One day he found his few
belongings outside the house entryway, a direct message that he was
to leave and go on his own - at the age of 10.
Even now, the father and his family faces persecution (abeit
sometimes subtle). They are the only Christian family in the village.
The oldest son went and earned a degree in civil engineering, but
can't find a job in that profession- the only jobs available are with
the government, and they wouldn't hire a Malian christian. The father
is also without a job, and spends a fair amount of time providing
food for his family by planting and harvesting fields of millet and
other items. Plowing is done with simple plows and a donkey, but the
harvesting is done by hand.
Despite their many hardships, this family has extended its
hand to people even more needy then they. When a child of a relative
lost her parents, they took her in and adopted her. More recently,
the family took in a large family (children and a widowed mother) who
were homeless. And no matter how little food they had, Malian
families always make sure that their guests have plenty to eat.
For supper we sat on some benches and a small table,
sheltered from the sun by a tin roof upheld by wooden poles - their
family worship area. After handwashing, everyone gathered around the
large bowls of food - some millet cuscous, lentil beans, and some
chicken smothered in peanut sauce. The mother began scooping heaping
portions of the millet in two bowls. The rest of the food was heaped
in the middle of each bowl. Gathering around one of the bowls, each
person proceeded to eat by scooping with their right hand, eating the
food that was in the area just in front of them. The sauce, when
poured over the millet, gave the dry textured food some flavor and
moistness. More helpings were provided until everyone had their fill.
Just when I thought it was finished, they brought out a watermelon
grown locally and began cutting it with a rather dull looking small
knife. On top of the tender chicken and tasty sauce, we were
presented with a large slice of watermelon to eat!
Shortly after all had their fill, we packed up to leave. Kind words
were exchanged and photos were taken. Soon the sun would set; much
needed to be done yet in the available light. Thanking all for their
generous hospitality, we left the small village and headed back
towards the sprawling village of Bamako.

Although I've seen it before, this visit once again reminded me how
people can be happy even though they don't have material things.
Family and faith held this man and his family together and made it
prosper. While he could have easily given up either as a child or as
a adult, this man did not give up and held fast to his faith and
family. How blessed we are in the US that we are not persecuted for
our beliefs - that we are free to believe as we want! And the
family's generosity, extending out a hand to the orphaned girl and a
homeless family - when they themselves were poor and on hard times!
Indeed, there are many things that I and others in a modern society
need to work on. We can learn so much from people in poor, developing
countries.

--
| Melissa Enderle |
/)| melissa@afribone.net.ml |( / )| || __( ( art teacher/ adaptive art /_) ) )__