RE: jumping into the fray

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 06:11:19 PST

> I thought only rich men or megalomaniacs did that--

They do, and they're called politicians...!

Remember the line we were all raised with that anyone in America could grow
up to be President? Well, that's not really true, is it? You have to have
a lot of money and the backing of one of the two Dominant Parties. And, you
have to play their games.

There is nothing in our Constitution which limits us to a two-party system,
yet we have functionally been kept to that by the two Dominant Parties. The
best evidence of this has been the systematic exclusion of third-party
candidates in this election. We should be most concerned that this
exclusion has so strongly affected our media. One must wonder who controls
them...; and why?

> One thing about Bush and Gore that's to their credit and speaks to way
> they might handle the office--they have experience as elected political
> figures. And in any field of endeavor--experience matters!

Ok, so let's look at that "experience". I have heard very little about any
good that Bush has done in Texas. In fact, it is failing on many accounts.

Gore, though he speaks well, virtually disappeared during Clinton's
administration, and no more was heard about his pro-environment rhetoric.

Nader, on the other hand, has a proven history of working, often at his own
expense, for the environment, for public safety, for the common people and
against corporate interests and influence.

Perhaps it IS time for a NON-politician to try running the country.

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher/Educational Consultant
The Ohio Center for Critical Thinking Instruction
http://www.acorn.net/lists-ht/occti.html
Truth, Honor and Courage