re: discipline and behavior

---------

From: BJ Berquist (berquist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 02:31:39 PST

One of the things I have found that works well with my classes is to ask
the disruptive student if he is in control of his behavior. Adolescents
especially feel that they have no control over what happens to them.
This gives you the opportunity to put them in charge and they will
frequently accept this challenge. The question is phrased in this way:
How can you show me that you are in control of your behavior? (no one
EVER wants to admit that someone else is saying something or doing
something that puts the other person in control of their behavior!)

Another technique I find successful, and I got this idea from a more
experienced educator, was to ask: How can you change your behavior so
that you and others can learn in this classroom? (that is more positive
than "how can I change my behavior so I can stay out of trouble" because
you are setting the kid up for failure with that statement...the child
is being labeled a troublemaker.) ALWAYS put the responsibility of
behavior on the kid and its effect on others in the classroom.

I've enjoyed reading this discipline thread and seeing how sensitive
this group is to adolescent behaviors.

Respectfully submitted,
BJ Berquist
Associate Educator, TAPPED IN