Re: discouraged— Unruly art class

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 21:50:23 PST

In a message dated 11/05/2000 5:32:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
buerklej@mail.leon.k12.fl.us writes:

> Oh...I also don't allow personal CD players. But I'm rethinking this.
> What do
> you all think? I certainly wouldn't allow them during instructional
> time.

I let them use personal CD players in class during work time and they have
been quite good about it. It ranges between 3 to 5 players per period.
Lately I have been bringing in my Classical collection and they have liked it
or at least they have asked to borrow or write down the selection top listen
to later or purchase. This is high school, art 2,3,4 and A.P.

The personal CD player lets those who need to get into their own space get
there and not bother me or others. As Long as they are working I think it is
great. Lately, a few have been sharing a pair of headphones and I needed to
stop this because they are making the music more important than the art.
Never make the music more important than the art or else it gets out of hand.
When a kid went into my storeroom and changed the CD or radio station I had
a fit, threw them out of the class, told them that was my property and if
they touched it again I would have them removed.

I support your rules on music but consider the use of the personal CD players
while working to ease the conflict of music for everyone.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA