Re: unruly class (long and windy)

---------

skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 20:33:37 PST

Nnaell@aol.com wrote:

> I have a class of second graders that has been increasingly disrespectful,
> out of control, rude and can't even sit still long enough to hear the
> directions which adds to the problem.

I have great success using lots of positive reinforcement. I also do something
which I know many people on this list will be tremendously opposed to. I give
candy as a reward. My classroom has six tables with about 3 children at each
table. Each table has a different color plastic box with a lid which sits in
the center of the table. So they are the "red table", the "yellow table", etc.
The children have assigned seats and I seat the trouble makers far apart from
each other. If children talk too much to their tablemates I switch them to a
different spot. Occasionally a child will have to sit at a table by himself.
When I switch kids around I always do it in a positive way by telling them I'm
putting them near a child who will not distract them.

Anyway, in every class we have a contest. ( I meet each class once a week for 45
minutes.) The contest starts as they enter the room. I tell them I'm looking
for the table that sits down first (no running) and is quietly waiting for
directions. I usually announce which table did the best. They work as a team
with their table mates. If one child is misbehaving I tell them that it is too
bad because that child is ruining the chances for their whole table to win. The