Re: unruly class (long and windy)

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 15:16:58 PST

Wow what is it with 2nd graders lately? Seems like that's the group we have
the most to say about at our school. (I wonder if it has something to do
with losing all those teeth right about then....) Looks like you're on the
right track though -- as long as you're consistent and they know what to
expect that usually helps. (Personally, I have decided to use behavior
modification charts and goodies for rewards. Best behaved class gets an ice
cream sculpture party)
Fif th graders seem challenging to me as well lately. One class has been
awful lately. So I made up a behavior contract for them. On it they are to
sign their names next to the behaviors they can agree to : Enter the room
quietly, listen while teacher is instructing, use only kind words when
speaking to others, and follow directions. Then they bring this contract
home to be signed by parents, brought back to school. I put their signed
contract in front of them for each art class. If they break one of the
contract rules I make a red X next to that behavior. If there appear to be
repeat problems with a student, then parents come in, etc. etc. This year
was the first year that I had some kinds *not* sign next to one or two
behaviors -- they said they just didn't feel like they could promise to do
that particular thing. So I've already had some parent conferences with the
kids while they explain why it's so hard for them to do. They usually end
up signing all four. If not, I recommend counseling, not as a threat, of
course, but to help them figure stuff out. So annoying to have to deal with
this stuff, especially when, as 4th graders they were so wonderful.
Liz in rural NY