Re: personal CD players

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 06:41:46 PST

artrageous@bigfoot.com wrote:

> > <<Oh...I also don't allow personal CD players. But I'm rethinking this.
> What do you all think?>>
>
> Last year at the beginning of the 2nd semester I began allowing students to bring CD players to class. The rules were pretty simple: <snip>
>
> 3. They could only be used after I'd given instructions for the day--so they weren't allowed to walk into the room with them on. Obviously, they weren't to be used during lectures--ha! Also, they needed to put them away before they left the art room because our school has a "no CD players during the academic day" rule.
>
> This really worked surprisingly well. It dramatically cut down on the amount of talking, and some of my > more distractable kids found it much easier to work on their projects. Most of them said it really helped > them focus.

We used to allow personal stereos, too, 'til it got to the point where
students would pretend not to hear you (in class or the hallway) because
they had their earphones on; they would look straight at you, and then
turn away (in other words, they heard us calling their name). So we
banned their use in the building.

Like Sharon, I don't have a problem with them in my classroom, but
unlike Sharon I feel I need to follow school policy--it sets a bad
example when one or two teachers ignore a policy. I tell the students
that I have rules to follow, too. Sharon, will you respond to this?

Maggie