Re: discouraged— Unruly art class

---------

From: Jennifer Buerkle (buerklej_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 05:34:39 PST

AGAIN...A TARDY POST

You wrote:
Whatever I played was greeted with moans and groans. The
varied ethnic groups were never happy with each others view of music.

That's just the thing, I absolutely allow no personal choice in the
music. It is
my CD player, my classroom, my environment, mine to set the ambiance as
a part of
the educational experience I want to share. Anytime I have let any
student have
anything to do at all with the music I have had the same problem. But
they sure
do ask a lot in the beginning. I've been known to stretch the truth and
tell
them I am not allowed to play their music. And, in truth, some teachers
in our
district have unknowingly played some real trash in their rooms when
they play
student CD's.

Oh...I also don't allow personal CD players. But I'm rethinking this.
What do
you all think? I certainly wouldn't allow them during instructional
time.

Jen in Tallahassee