color white play sand

---------

MPBC90_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 22:21:25 PST

In a message dated 11/4/00 3:01:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:

<< rom: Rgart58@aol.com
> Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 20:13:12 EST
> To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
> Subject: Help with colored sand
>
> Help....I need a way to color white play sand without using powdered
tempera!
> I need the information ASAP so I can get supplies rounded up for Monday
> morning.
> Thanks to everyone!

Sand Coloring

Fine sand; Water; Food coloring; Paper cups; Plastic spoons

Fill paper cups half full with sand. Next, add water to cups to completely
cover sand. Add food coloring to get the desired color. Stir with plastic
spoon and let set for 15 minutes. Pour off water, spoon sand onto paper
towels and spread the sand out to dry.

0r
put sand in zip lock bags and added drops of food coloring. I
let student carefully shake the sand in the bags until the color was
distributed evenly.or

use powdered tempera and mix with sand

or
use salt and rub with chalk to get the colors we want. You put the salt on
a paper plate and then rub 1 color to mix it to the right intensity. It's not
as real but it works.Place sand in a pie tin (or other flat
container) and rub colored chalk over it (on the side of the
chalk). As the chalk becomes dust, it mixes with the sand and
causes it to become colored. Again, the colors are brighter
when you use white salt instead of sand.