need some help/suggestions

---------

From: Jayna Ledbetter (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 20:25:54 PST

Hi all...
When I took my job and explored my supply closets I
found some curious materials. I have huge bags of foam
shapes. Circles mostly. I wish I could think of a way
to explain their density- not as thick and heavy as
sponges- they resemble the cheap sponges used for
crafty printing/stenciling. What in the world can I
do with them? I teach middle school. There are so
many that I could feasibly build towers. BTW- I have
alrady done a printmaking project this semester, but I
suppose I could do one with these sponges next
semester with my new crop of students coming after
Christmas. I have no money left over from my budget
and I am running out of the basics. I still have tons
of glue however, so I plan to do paper mache, I have
yarn to do weavings, and clay (hopefully enough to
last through June), and glazes. I have a ton of
drawing paper, but my paint will have to be stretched
thin- my water colors are all but nonexistent after my
seventh graders used them.
It was so difficult to order supplies not knowing how
much each student would actually use! (My first year
in case you don't know me yet) But I guess it's one of
those things you learn the hard way. At first I was
sending this message for suggestions on what to do
with limited materials, but as I type, the wheels are
turning....
origami, marblizing paper, paper mache (I plan to make
"mummies" and shoe box sarcophagi with 6th graders)
It really seems like paper mache is a poor art
teachers dream.. we'll see...I haven't taught it yet.
Luckily by middle school most students know how to do
it already. Whew, I'm babbling... must be the Saturday
night 2 glasses of wine talking....
Jayna