marbelizing paper

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 06:10:32 PST

I am trying a marbleized paper technique. It uses a liquid starch poured into
a cake pan and colored chalk. The students shave chalk dust onto the starch
where it floats. They can drag patterns or swirl the colors, then lift a print
by laying paper on the surface. I think the starch can be thinned with water.

I want to use this in a lesson about Japanese prints. I'm wondering if this is
an intellectually honest way to represent Suminagashi, a water print technique
that uses floating ink.

Susan Holland
Visual Art Studies
University of Texas at Austin