Re: Chinese and Japanese Brush painting...

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 15:02:30 PST

Ok- first of all I'm not a pro at Asian art forms in case someone becomes
offended- but I've been really into Japanese Sumi-e painting for the past
couple of years. I believe that there are a lot of similarities between the
two- probably because they were so close geographically. Chinese brush
painting seems to encompass tons of different styles from delicate
watercolor looking techniques to powerful calligraphic paintings that
resemble some fantastic action painting. Japanese brush painting varies as
well but sumi-e painting has a certain look to it. It's a very disciplined
style of painting with particular brushstrokes that make up other objects.
Like there is one brushstroke that could be used to make a leaf or 5 of
those brushstrokes together to make a bird. The only way I can describe
sumi-e is that they do the most with the very least amount of painting.

I've got a lesson on Japanese Screens and Scrolls (where I teach sumi-e) at
http://www.learnnc.com/learnnc/lessonp.nsf. Just search for Japanese
Screens and you'll find 3 lessons that are part of the unit.

Michelle H. Harrell
michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com
Southeast Raleigh High School
Center for Accelerated Studies