Re: Oscar's delightful web site

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 06:13:16 PST

Sharon Henneborn wrote:

> I think you can assume that the word Libertarian means a very
> different thing to Oscar in Brazil than it does in US of A. We have
> been through this before when he tried to share his art and art
> lessons with us. Please welcome him and cut him a break. If you have
> never lived in a foreign country and experienced the communication
> bombs maybe you are not sensitive to the possibilities.

Amen to that! Sharon is absolutely correct. It's appalling that people
who earnestly incorporate "multicultural" learning in their curricula
would be insensitive to someone from outside the US sharing his corner
of the world with us. Like Sharon, I've pulled my share of foreign
language boners, though with lots of laughter at my expense and some
gentle corrections. Appreciate Oscar and what he's trying to contribute
to the list.

Maggie