I'm only a teacher

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 15:25:08 PST

Ever feel like your only a teacher- or howabout only the art teacher?  I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

ONLY A TEACHER
I am a teacher! What I do and say is being absorbed by young minds who will echo these images across the ages. My lessons will be immortal, affecting people yet unborn, people I will never see or know. The future of the world is in my classroom today and this future has potential for both good or bad. The pliable minds of tomorrow's leaders will be molded either artistically or grotesquely by what I do. Several future presidents are learning from me today; so are great writers of the next decades and so are all the so called ordinary people who will make the decisions in a democracy. I must never forget these same young people could be thieves and murderers of the future. Just a teacher? I have a calling to the greatest profession of all! I must be vigilant every day lest I lose one fragile opportunity to improve tomorrow.

Dr. Ivan Fitzwater

And what about being an art teacher?  Not only am I a teacher, I am also an art teacher who can reach students on a completely different level. Future painters, sculptors, desingers, and craftsman may look back on their memories in my classroom as the only place they felt a sense of belonging. I am influencing future lawmakers, administrators, and CEOs about how they will support or not support the arts by what I say and do. Everyday, I have an opportunity to make an impact on the world by sharing my passion for creating and understanding art. I just need to remind myself this on a daily basis during fire drills, bomb threats, the occasional fight, and the (all too scary) days I didn't have my coffee. -Me

Michelle H. Harrell
michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com
Southeast Raleigh High School
Center for Accelerated Studies