Molas--(without the codes --smile fellow digest members)

---------

From: mdecker (mdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 13:28:28 PST

Molas are works of art created by the women of the Central American Cuna(or
Kuna) tribe, of the San Blas Islands in Panama. They are made using an
applique process referred to as "reverse applique". Several layers of cloth
varying in color are loosely stitched together. Fine-tipped scissors are
used to cut the top layers. The cut edges are folded back and stitched to
the layer below.

Here are the links again if you didn't get beyond the code. I should have
known not to copy a file from "Word":

Indigenous Art Of Panama:
http://www.panart.com/

The Art of Being Kuna (great site!)
http://www.conexus.si.edu/kuna/

Mola Gallery:
http://www.panart.com/mola_gallery.htm

Mola Market Place
http://members.aol.com/molamrkt/molasite2/

Mola's International Gallery:
http://www.molasinternational.com/

Folk Art Exchange (commercial site--but lots of ideas)
http://www.folkart.com/swenty-3/
http://www.folkart.com/panama/kuna/grey/

Molas (from About.com) Links for buying Molas do not work
http://quilting.about.com/hobbies/quilting/library/weekly/aa072297.htm

I told you folks I had many more links not on my pages yet...just ask.

Enjoy,

Judy Decker