mid term slump?

---------

From: Christine Sandeson (c.sandeson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 12:24:31 PST

hello all

This is the day after Hallowe'en, it has been raining for
several days in a row, mid terms are out next week, and we had a
recent in-service day. Could this explain the lack of enthusiasm my
grades 10 & 11 are expressing with a current project?

We are nearly finished a multi-step project: discussion of
how we become "used" to seeing violent images in the media, a
group-effort collage (depicting war memorial themes), the creation
of individual art work, the fragmentation of that art piece through
a cutting and shifting technique, and the display of this work
throughout the school in advance of Rememberance Day.

Many are simply not putting much effort into this, need
repeated explanations, and some after the 3rd day are still at the
collage stage, are asking 'why are we doing this?', 'didn't we do
collage in elementary school?', 'What's the point of cutting up the
work and re-arranging it?'.

For many of these students, art is "new", but the prevailing
mood has infected even my more promising students. Can I salvage
this idea?

christene

--
Rob and Christene Sandeson