Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Clay rattles

From: Michelle Lowe (mishlowe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 07:15:30 PST

At 06:58 AM 11/1/2000 -0800, Gordon wrote:
>Fellow clay teachers- we are scheduled to make clay rattles on friday..
>what I was wondering ..what makes the best rattle... the shape of the dried
>clay pieces you use to make the rattle.. what is the best shape.. should
>they be made from another clay..with a higher cone or lower cone.. any

We've had success making rattles (LOVE 'EM), by either lining the rattle
with kleenex or newspaper or paper towel, when you close it up with clay
pieces inside (we didn't really dry them much first), or we wrapped each
little piece individually, before enclosing them. This seemed to keep them
from sticking to the inside of the rattle body, which we did by making two
pinch bowls (or other shapes) and then attaching together, with the rattle
pieces inside. Sometimes the rattlers still stick, if the kids aren't
careful in wrapping or lining. I think smaller pieces on the inside make a
more pleasant rattle, but I'm sure size of the chamber and thickness of
clay make a difference too. It's interesting to see the sound difference
when you use different size pieces!

Good luck!

Michelle Lowe, potter in the Phoenix desert |/ | -O- | | /| | | |
( )