Re: "Is this good enough"

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 03:37:42 PST

I had to laugh Susan....
I think every art teacher hears this....and I for one am an equal
opportunity harasser. I work hard to develop a relationship where I am free
to use humor, and come down on kids...and to make that work, I let them at
time have fun with me. But....in general...my come back is, "good is never
enough when you dream of being best!"

Some of course quickly tell me they don't dream of being best....and I
assure them that for this reason I reserve some grades for others! So then,
I take 'em over to my computer where we use "e-grades" and highlight their
name...."well...let's look at how we'll grade this...." I start with a
"D".....and turn and look and say, "...is this good enough?" They usually
get my point. hahaha

I really ride them. "Well...gee I see we need to set this broken bone in
your leg today, but I have a golf tee time in 45 minutes. Hhhmmm....I'll
just set this bone over here and sew you up!" ................."There! Good
enough!" parse.ksh

"Gee honey, I know you wanted a car for your senior year. Oh sure...there's
no window on one side, but its covered with pretty decent plastic. That
rattling? Oh, that's the rusted out exhaust system underneath...but its
wired up with real strong coat hanger wire! You can get some pretty decent
sound from these car stereo speakers...but you need to slam down hard with
your fist on top of the dashboard just above the radio...oh...about....HERE
bbBBBBLLLLAAAAMM! Well...maybe slam down on it a few times. (sometimes
works!).
I know the seats are old, but we'll cover it with a blanket. After
all....its, GOOD ENOUGH, RIGHT??????"

"What??? NO date for the prom yet? Just pick any girl/boy....??? After
all...he'd/she be good enough, huh????"

Larry Seiler