Re: Collage and Mobiles for 9-11 yr olds

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Linda Kelty (lckelty)
Wed, 27 May 2099 21:31:42 -0400

Mary wrote and Linda inserted her reply:

>I hope everyone is not too involved in end of the school year to give me
>some help, which I could really use.
****
Yeah, but we're never too busy to help each other out.
*****
>I am a sculptor, painter and teacher (of adults).
>
>I am being asked to teach 9-11yr olds collage and mobile making in a summer
>enrichment program. Though I have a well rounded studio art education, I
>am looking for ideas on how to present these two forms to this age group.
>There are 6 classes, 3 hours each. I plan to divide those into 3, 45 min
>segments. I want them to be really involved and have fun and am certainly
>willing to try just about anything to accomplish that end.
>*******
I introduce 3-d to students by having them "occupy space", developing human
sculpture in groups of 3 or 4, and then enlarging it. We talk about Height,
Width and Depth (Yes, in capital letters...large, expansive gestures),
positive shape and negative space, dynamic and passive movement. They love
this and then we relate it to dance and music with the use of rythm. We
have even danced to disco and rock and roll to emphasize movement. Then we
related it to the Alexander Calder mobiles and stabiles. No matter what
materials you use, this works very well. It's also a great time to
introduce balance by having them stand on one foot for as long as they can
and noticing their motion to balance themselves. Then back into groups of 3
to see if they can find ways to balance each other.
Hope this helps. It was an effort to find a creative and kinesthetic way to
teach the sculptural concepts. This is just an overview of what I did with
the kids, primarily 6th graders. I developed several lessons along this
line, but you can adapt it to suit your own purposes. It helps to teach
through multiple intelligences.
Linda K. in Iowa