RE: Collage and Mobiles for 9-11 yr olds

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Thu, 27 May 1999 18:16:18 -0500

We just did mobiles as a part of a 3-D exhibit. The kids had a little
trouble getting started and older elementary students would say "that just
something you hang over a baby's bed" . I pulled a book about Alexander
Calder out of the Picture Book Library, showed pictures of his work to the
students along with some of the history. Suddenly the baby project became
one of the most popular with 4th - 6th graders (9-12 years old)
Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator
San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts and Children's Art Museum
P.O. Box 3092 San Angelo, TX 76902-3092 (mailing address)
1st Floor Historic Cactus Hotel 36 E. Twohig San Angelo, TX 76903
915 659- 4391
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu] On Behalf Of Mary Moran
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 1999 3:44 PM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Collage and Mobiles for 9-11 yr. olds

Hello,

I hope everyone is not too involved in end of the school year to give me
some help, which I could really use.

I am a sculptor, painter and teacher (of adults).

I am being asked to teach 9-11yr olds collage and mobile making in a summer
enrichment program. Though I have a well rounded studio art education, I
am looking for ideas on how to present these two forms to this age group.
There are 6 classes, 3 hours each. I plan to divide those into 3, 45 min
segments. I want them to be really involved and have fun and am certainly
willing to try just about anything to accomplish that end.

As a painter, I have made portraits that have not a face in sight but rather
reveal many other things about the person, so have decided to use that idea
as a springboard. That makes it about them, but in a freeing way that could
lead to some great creativity.

I thought of presenting each of them with an individual box of materials
each day from which to do the exercises in understanding the medium,
allowing them to choose from other boxes if they can demonstrate how they
made their choices and what they want to accomplish by its addition. Of
course, their final project, which will be displayed in the art center
gallery, will contain everything of their choice.

Anyone have other ideas on any aspect of this project? I am grateful for
your assistance. Thank you.

Mary