Re: Organization (long)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MarshArt
Mon, 24 May 1999 20:04:48 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/99 4:56:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
EBeck21059 writes:

> Am interested in what others do in the summer to organize and plan for the
> upcoming school year. Beth

All through the year, I evaluate my lessons (post facto) in red ink in my
plan book. I make notations like..".better suited for 4th grade; or cut steps
1 & 2 and shorten procedure; or Great lesson! Great results," etc. This
lets me refine my approach and decide what I want to repeat next year.
Ironically, most of what I teach is new the next year but there are a few
that become repeated favorites.

Then I use a master form I made, for each grade level, that blocks out my
units by the month. It has one column for "concepts to learn ", one for
objectives, and another for the activity they will do. On it, I BRIEFLY
state these points in one sentance. Then, I easily check it for how the
lessons flow together. I plan out the year for each grade, in this way. I am
free to depart from it and I am free to add to it. This method has cut down
my "school year" planning time considerably. I refer to it, write up the
lesson in my plan book and I am up to date. Also, this approach has kept my
curriculum consistent throughout the grades so that everyone has had exposure
by the time graduation nears.

Also, over the summer, I go through my lesson files ( have TONS from the
List) and pull out the ones I want to try. I make my demos (fun!). Decide
where I want to do them the next year. This really helps me, because I also
will teach another subject next year and that will be like a "blind man"
falling into a ditch...I never taught it before. So at least inONE area, I
know what I am doing!

Marsha